- Avg. revenue /month$3,354
- Avg. sessions /month10,424
- Avg. profit /month$3,000
- Inventory value$10,000
Why this business was started
I bought this from the forums on Shopify from someone else. I saw a great price point and average order value on a niche hobby item that has people you can identify online and they will also spread the word in their hobby. Plus, it is about whiskey and alcohol, so more fun that other businesses and I thought it was a newer hobby with some staying power. Similar to home-brewing beer in 2001. I thought I could add my special sauce to it as the original owner built content and a social following. I added some PPC skills and Amazon. Whatever special skill/connection you have can be applied to this business.
The reason of selling this business
- Time - I have completely run out of time to invest so sales have slowed a bit. Just needs basic customer service and the usual marketing to get sales. I have sent one email blast, need to reconnect the store with Google and FB and just don't have time. I also stopped selling on Amazon as it required too much effort.
- Money. To make decent margins you need to buy the stills in bulk to get the best discounts. $60K plus or minus. That makes it profitable on Amazon and allows me to drop the price on the site to compete. I have also raised the prices on the products to slow the sales because I need that extra margin to have drop-shipping worth it and so I'm no longer stocking my FBA account so no more Amazon. And I don't have the cash available because my other business (and life) requires it. You can drop ship without it, but you will need to buy/finance the inventory. I just can't float the money anymore and have other priorities.
- Focus -- I've had it a while, made some money, but I need to focus on other things. It's time to let someone else take a shot at it and focus on my other projects.
What's involved in running this business
--Customer service - answering phones. Customers want to talk with a real person. This is a big purchase for these people and they've researched a lot already. -- Marketing -- whatever skill you have can be applied. It gets a ton of SEO traffic and I haven't added content in 5 years. Residual SEO ranks. Email, PPC, Video all would work. --Not much else. I put inventory at a 3PL and sometimes with Amazon FBA and synched with the store. I occasionally fixed some copper stills that were damaged in transit. I'm not an expert, but I did a lot with a $5 rubber mallet.
Traffic and Performance
- Avg. revenue /month$3,354Verified
- Avg. sessions /month10,424Verified
- Avg. profit /month$3,000
- Inventory value$10,000
- Profit Margin20%
- Avg. sales /month30
- Shopify plan
- Inventory warehouse
- toll free number
- Google Ads
Logo and branding assetsI have some dropbox files, but mostly it's what in the site. I don't have originals.
Personal support after saleI'd prefer to do more hours the first month (10-20) and then try to keep to to an hour a month for a few months. This business isn't that complicated so once I give you control and I can do a bunch of screenshares to help, then Shopify and Amazon support might be more valuable. I'll also connect you with my Touch of Modern contact. I have done several nice deals with them, but margin is skinny so you need to have inventory in the US. I'll connect you with my supplier and also with my 3PL if you want to use them.
Product photosI don't have all the photos on the site other than what lives on Shopify, but I do have some extras with white backgrounds for Amazon that I can transfer.
SuppliersI will share my supplier with you upon the sale and also pricing and actual invoices with them. I inherited this from the previous owner and have kept up a good relationship.
How to grow this business
- Answer the phone, emails, chat, etc. (kidding, but not kidding)
- Stay on Amazon, advertise there (this worked last year)
- Create YouTube videos and other social content. How to videos, IG stories, etc.
- Email marketing (has never been done) and follow up funnels
- Additional products
- Keep products in stock and use the additional marketplace (Touch of Modern) to turn over inventory.
Skills to have
Not really, but an an interest in whiskey or distilling alcohol would be preferred. I did not have that expertise, but I think it would really take this to the next level.
Just be able to process orders, manage customers and money.
PPC, social media basics are nice. Video production would help too.
Our features for a secure experience
- Verified revenue and traffic
- Secure messaging platform
- Escrow payment system
- Dedicated migration team
Why use Exchange?
Exchange is the largest and fastest-growing marketplace for Shopify e-commerce stores
Verified listing data
The revenue and traffic data that you see on each listing is pulled directly from its Shopify account. This means that the data has been verified. Exchange reviews and monitors listings for thorough and accurate information.
Secure messaging platform
You will be able to communicate with sellers via a secure messaging platform. After you log in and request information from a listing, sellers are notified and have the ability to respond. When you are ready, you can make an offer.
Encrypted payment capture
Exchange and Escrow.com have partnered together to provide you with safe transactions that have bank encryption, making sure that payment is securely captured. Escrow.com ensures that its users pass verification checks before transactions can proceed.
Take time to inspect the business
Once you submit payment to Escrow.com and the payment has been secured, the funds are held until you confirm that all assets received are as negotiated. You can use the inspection period to ask the seller any extra questions about the business.
Safe store transfer
When the transaction is finalized, the dedicated migration team at Exchange will begin the process of making you the new owner of the store. Buyers and sellers will be notified via an email from the Exchange team once store transfers have been completed.
Post-purchase 24/7 Shopify support
Once you log into your Shopify account for the first time and choose a subscription plan, Shopify Support Gurus are available 24/7 to help you with the settings of the store.